Sunday, December 1, 2013

I also LOVE Peanut Butter!

Sugar is addicting, and it really is a drug.  American's consume about 150 lbs of white, processed sugar every year.  We should aim to at least cut this in half.  This number is no where near the amount consumed 20 years ago. One can of coke has 10 teaspoons of sugar in it.  If you drink one coke per day for an entire year, you are drinking 30 pounds of sugar, and that's just from the coke!  This contributes to diabetes, obesity, heart disease, inflammation - sickness! Artificial sweeteners are not the way to go either.  Splenda was discovered in 1976 when scientists were trying to create a new insecticide! I don't think that's what you want to be putting in your bodies either.  I try to stay away from white processed sugar and artificial sweeteners as much as I can.  If I need to sweeten something, I use Stevia, which is a natural sweetener that comes from a plant, a small amount of honey, agave nectar, molasses, brown rice syrup or pure maple syrup.  These are still sugars, but are natural, unprocessed, and agave won't spike your blood sugar as quickly as white sugar or some of the other natural ones.  I do like to have a dessert once in a while, and I LOVE peanut butter.  I couldn't live without it.  I eat it almost every single day.  I actually can't remember the last day I didn't have it.  When buying peanut butter, make sure the ingredients say peanuts.  Not Peanuts, oil, salt, sugar, etc.  Get the real stuff.  Otherwise it's not good for you.  I also try to buy organic when I can. This recipe for peanut butter pumpkin brownies, I think, is delicious.  I actually like the batter better.......But I will bake them eventually.  It makes a good high protein snack, and since there's pumpkin incorporated, you get a superfood!  Try not to eat the entire batch when you make them please!
  
Peanut Butter Pumpkin Brownies


1 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1 egg
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp baking soda

Mix all the ingredients together, put in oil sprayed 8x8 or 9x9 pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes! 

I froze some of them and left some of them out to munch on! 


photo from thisprimallife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment