Thursday, February 13, 2014

Stretches Every Runner Should Be Doing

Stretching has been a controversial subject.  Yes, you should stretch, no you shouldn't, stretching decreases performance, stretching increases performance, only stretch after, only stretch before.........what to do, what to do.

The truth is, the more flexible your body, the more efficient you are at running, the less prone you are to injury, the quicker you build strength and endurance, and not to mention, it just feels good!!!  My IT bands and hip flexors are very tight, and I work on my stretching daily in hopes of becoming more flexible. I'm trying!!!

Never stretch cold muscles - i.e. don't roll out of bed and try to touch your toes.  You need to get those muscles warm first, or do what we call dynamic stretching.  Do a little dance, jog a bit, do some walking lunges, jumping jacks or running in place before you stretch.  Get your body warm somehow!!  Dynamic stretching prepares you for your run.  Static stretching is what you do at the end of your run to cool down.  It helps increase your muscle length, helps prevent injury and muscle soreness.  

Pre - Run Stretches - These are all dynamic - they loosen and activate all your leg muscles as well as your hips - 

1.  Leg Swings - Stand next to a wall (I need to put my hand on it for support) and swing your leg side to side, one at a time, 10-20 reps each.  You can also do forward and backward, but I prefer side to side.  

2. Walking Lunges - Take one step forward with either leg, bend your knee so your knee is over your ankle and your thigh is parallel with the ground.  Bend your back knee as well.  Keep moving forward and bring your feet back together.  Alternate sides as you continue to walk forward.  

3.  Butt Kicks - 10 reps on each side, with a little job, bring your heels up to the back of your glutes.

Post - Run Stretches - These stretches target the big leg muscles and help to maintain flexibility and range of motion (ROM). Do these for 30 seconds at least and up to 2 minutes.

1.  Kneeling hip flexor and hamstring stretchFrom a kneeling position, place the right foot on the ground in front of you, so the leg is bent 90 degrees, like in a lunge, with the knee and ankle aligned. Keeping your back straight, press forward into your right hip while keeping your left knee pressed into the ground, stretching your left hip and right hamstring.  Make sure that your hips are square. To increase the stretch to the left hip flexors, squeeze and contract the glute muscles of your left hip.  You can also stay in this position, except lean back and straighten the front leg and reach forward toward your foot.  

2.  Standing quadriceps stretch - Stand with legs together. Bend your right knee, bringing your heel toward your butt, and grasp your right foot with your right hand. 

3.  Standing calf stretch - Stand facing a wall with your hands on the wall at about chest level. Place the ball of your right foot up against the wall with your heel touching the floor.  Lean into the wall until you feel a stretch in your calf while keeping your leg straight.

I also firmly believe in foam rolling after a run.  The foam roller saved my life. My IT bands and hip flexors were so tight, I had so much knee pain and could barely run.  I got a few massages and started using a foam roller, and it made a world of difference.  I highly recommend it.  In my case, I put the foam roller under my thigh/IT bands, and through a process called self myo-fascial release, another form of stretching, I was able to relax them.  I also used it on my quads and calves, and have even seen people use it on their backs :)  It's a must and you can find one at Target, TJ Maxx, or Wal Mart for a minimal price. 



No comments:

Post a Comment