Monday, May 19, 2014

Kale Salad

I'm not a huge huge fan of kale, but I know how healthy it is for me, so I try to throw it into salads, juice it, add it too my smoothies, etc, just for the health benefits.  Now that farmer's markets are starting up again, I'm a little more excited to try some new kale dishes.  I made this salad the other night, and I actually really like it.  I would maybe add a little cheese of some sort (goat, feta, parm) for a little extra something something, or another avocado and a little more edamame and snow peas (I reflected that in the recipe), but overall, I really thought it was good.  AND it's very very good for you.

Salad Ingredients

1 bunch of kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
1.5 cups snow peas
1.5 cups edamame
              I used frozen of the two above ingredients, then just threw them in some boiling water for about 4                 minutes to unthaw
1 carrot - peeled and ribboned with a veggie peeler
1 shallot or onion- diced
1 red bell pepper - diced
2 avocados - diced
Handful of Basil & Cilantro - chopped

Dressing Ingredients

  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
  • 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
Directions

Use a chef's knife to remove the tough ribs from the kale, then discard them. Chop the kale leaves into small, bite-sized pieces and transfer them to a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the kale with a dash of sea salt and use your hands to massage the kale by scrunching up the leaves in your hands and releasing until the kale is a darker green and fragrant. Toss the remaining salad dressing ingredients with the kale. 

To make the vinaigrette, whisk together all the ingredients until emulsified. Toss the dressing with the salad and serve.



Adapted from Cookie and Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment