Sunday, May 18, 2014

Vegan/Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies

I had good luck with the healthy blondie recipe and I had been seeing a lot of black bean brownie recipes, so I decided to try it out!! I'm going to attempt to not eat the entire pan in a day and a half, but no promises. Here's the recipe.  I don't think I food processed them for long enough, but they still taste great!

Ingredients

1 can of black beans, rinsed very well
               I use Roundy's organic black beans
1/2 cup of oats
               Bob's Red Mill are gluten free; most oats are/should be but can be in a plant where other foods are                processed in the same area that are not gluten free
2 heaping TBSP of cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup of maple syrup
               If you don't care if they are vegan, you can use honey)
2 tbsp of demerara or turbindo sugar or coconut sugar
               Can omit and bump up maple syrup to 1/2 cup
1/4 cup coconut oil
               You can get a jar at Target or Whole foods for $8-$10 - it seems expensive but it's totally worth it                - I use it in deoderant, make up, baking, as oil in the pan for french toast, pancakes, etc, and a lot                  of personal trainers recommend drinking it.
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 - 2/3 cups chocolate chips
               I used dark chocolate, you can find dairy free chocolate chips which are better for you than the                      nestle milk chocolate anyways

Directions

Preheat oven to 350.  Place all ingredients into a food processor (will work better than a blender) and process until very, very smooth.  Fold in the chocolate chips (I saved some to sprinkle on the top).  Pour into greased 8x8 pan and bake 15-18 minutes.  Let cool.  Makes about 9-12 brownies.


No comments:

Post a Comment