Sunday, August 17, 2014

My Running Tips

My Running Tips

Sometimes it’s hard to know what to wear when you go running.  Here are some of my tips that have worked for myself, and if I don’t do, I feel weird.

Sunglasses - I even wear them on a cloudy day because you never know.  Invest in a pair of running or athletic sunglasses.  By keeping the sun out of your eyes, a good pair of sunglasses can save you energy by allowing you to relax your face i.e. you won’t have to squint (also the eye doc in me recommends no squinting!!)  Sunglasses are also useful on winter days when it’s bright and the snow is around, or anytime you could encounter glare. 

Avoid Cotton - a runner’s worst nightmare.  I will wear my cotton shirts to bed and that’s about it.  Find t- shirts or tanks that are moisture wicking - these materials are designed to pull moisture away from the skin and out to the exterior of the fabric, where it then can evaporate.

Visors vs. Hats - in the summer or when it’s hot out, I recommend a white visor.  Not only will it reflect light but it will let heat escape from your heat.  A dark colored hat will absorb light and heat will be trapped.  Find one that is moisture wicking.  I have a Nike one that I love!  Of course in the winter, you need a thermal hat to keep that head warm!

Dress for the temperature as if your weather bug says it’s 10-15 degrees warmer than it actually is.  If it’s 60, pretend it’s actually 75.  Nothing makes me more sad than when I leave for a run and see people in a sweatshirt and sweat pants struggling, while I’m in a tank and shorts.  You will heat up and all will be well!!!

Wear white or lighter colors when it’s warm out - white reflects the sunlight, helping to keep you more cool.


If it’s cold - wear a thermal hat.  If you get warm you can easily tuck it into your pants.  Use chapstick or Vaseline on your lips and face if you think windburn could be a problem.  Layer your upper body.  The layers trap heat and allow sweat to move through them.  Once the moisture reaches the outer layer it evaporates. 

Wear gloves or mittens when it's cold - you can lose up to 30% of your body heat through your extremities.  Wear running tights or pants.  If it’s below 10 degrees, you may want to add another pair of wind/water proof pants as well.  Get a good pair of winter wool running socks (they’re expensive but worth it!).  

No comments:

Post a Comment