Sunday, September 15, 2013

26.2

At this point in my life, I should probably consider myself a runner.  I'm not sure that I do quite yet though.  Maybe after October 13th when I complete my first full marathon I will.  I have run multiple half marathons and can do it in 1:48, have run a 10k at a 7:47 pace and have completed many other races, so I like I said, it's probably about time to consider myself a runner.  I have my personal training certification, and in a few more months I will be certified as a holistic health coach (I also have my O.D.), so I do know a thing or two about the body, exercise and nutrition.  As I was running my 20 miler on Saturday and people watching (lakeshore drive in Chicago has great people watching), I was considering all the things I have learned while running.  Here are some of my running tips:

1.  Dress for your run like it is 10-15 degrees warmer than it is - your body will heat up.  If it's 60 degrees out, do not wear pants and a sweatshirt, you will regret it.
2.  When it's hot outside, wear white - white reflects the suns rays, black absorbs it.  You will be much more uncomfortable in dark clothing when it's hot out.
3.  Hydrate - studies show if you are the least bit dehydrated your performance will decrease.
4.  Carbohydrates are good! - Carbohydrates are your best and most efficient source of energy during running and exercise.  This does not mean go eat a big ass bowl of white pasta before a run.  Foods like quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, veggies and other complex carbs are great for fueling and don't spike your blood sugar.  Carbs like white bread or bagels are only good the hour or two or three before your run.  They are easier on your stomach because there is less fiber and will give you a lot of energy right away.  Simple carbs like gatorade and the gel packs (if you're doing a longer race, like an ironman you will need actual food to fuel) are good for fuel during your runs (train with them before a race or you may have stomach issues).  I like to make my own gatorade so that I'm not consuming red 5 or yellow 40.  Just saying. That's not an option during a race though.
5.  After a run or workout, consume protein and carbs to replenish your lost glycogen stores (your muscles used your glycogen to power themselves and now they need to get some back).  Protein is needed to rebuild your muscles.  They make recovery drinks with protein and carbs.  I use this as an excuse to drink a very tall glass of chocolate milk (organic/pasture raised of course.)
6. Ladies, and some men; put your hair in a ponytail - I do not even understand how people can run with their hair down.
7.  Long runs are meant to be slow and build endurance.  Work on your speed during your fartlek, tempo and interval runs.
8.  Budd Coates wrote a book on rhythmic breathing called Running On Air - I highly recommend it.  I may not be the fastest runner in the world, but since using his technique I very rarely feel out of breath on my runs.

As I continue to study more about sports nutrition, I'll add to this tally.  Hope this helps!! Below is a link to the Running On Air book.

Running On Air

No comments:

Post a Comment