Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Polenta, Beef and Tomato Casserole

I will admit.  I like cooking but I am horrible at finding recipes.  I don't know if I just have trouble deciding once I find one or I just don't know how to search.  Keith found this one, so I whipped it up and really liked it.

Ingredients:
Salt
Olive Oil
1 cup of cornmeal - I like Bob's Red Mill
1 1/3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb ground beef - pasture raised is best - we get our's from Meadow Haven Farm
1 onion - chopped
2 zucchini - cut into half moons - cut down the middle then sliced
2 cans petite diced tomatoes - 1 can drained, the other can not drained
1 can of tomato paste
Chopped parsley




Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 11x7 inch pan.  Bring 3 cups of water with a pinch or two of salt to a boil.  Whisk in cornmeal and stir continuously until it thickens, about 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and add in a little more salt, pepper and 1/3 cup of the cheese.  Spread the cornmeal mixture into the bottom of the greased pan.
 
Brown the beef in a pan.  Remove to a dish.

Saute onion and zucchini in a little olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste for about 8 - 10 minutes.


 Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and beef.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  I had to add a little bit of water to get it to soften up.  Spread the beef mixture on top of the cornmeal mixture, which at this point has softened.  Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes.  Let cool 10 minutes, sprinkle on chopped parsley and serve.

Adapted from Kathy Gizzi's recipe on myrecipes.com


No comments:

Post a Comment